Today is the final say of Happiness Happens month. All this month, August we’ve been celebrating with the Society of Happy People learning about happiness and how to be more happy. Happiness does not happen to us, and others don’t make us happy–we choose to be happy. According to the Society of Happy People, there are thirty-one types of happiness, easily one for each day of any month! So this month…and next month…choose to be happy where you are. For your happiness here are the 31 Types of Happiness and a little something for each day!
1. Amazed–Choose to do something today that you find amazing or choose to be amazing! Blind her with science–or wear that new red dress to his office.
2. Amused–What amuses you? Three Stooges? George and Gracie? Puppy kisses? Your kids’ funny sayings? Rolling down a hill? DO what makes you giggle.
3. Anticipation–Part of the fun of some things is that you anticipate how fun it will be to see their face, or taste that sweet taste. Bring happiness to your day by anticipating the joy!
4. Borrowed–Not all happiness is yours; sometimes the happiness is someone else’s joy that just bring happiness to you: the birth of a new baby, a wedding, winning 1st place at the fair… Borrow happiness.
5. Celebrate–Not every day is your birthday or anniversary, but each day does bring you something to celebrate, so increase your happiness today by celebrating!
6. Cheerful–Do you choose to focus on the negative or will you make the decision to be cheerful? In fact, why not bring some cheer to others! Tell a joke. Do something silly. Or just smile. :D
7. Compassion–Sometimes our lack of happiness is that we are so focused on ourselves we forget others. So bring happiness to your life by showing compassion for another human or animal friend.
8. Content– “I…have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. …I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.” –Phil. 4:11&12
9. Delight–Some things are just delightful, like the laughter of a child.
10. Enthusiastic–The energy behind enthusiasm is contagious, so if you need a boost of happiness, do something about which you are enthusiastic!
11. Exuberant–An exuberant personality overflows with joy like a water fountain overflowing with water. Let the joy inside you bubble up and bless others.
12. Fun–Yes there are bills to pay and schedules to be met, but today, put that all down and go swing in the park and roll down the hill. Do something that’s just plain FUN!
13. Give–Sometimes life feels negative because we become so focused on “what’s in it for me?” To increase your happiness…give some away! Give of yourself and your time, and give selflessly.
14. Glad–Today, be with people who make you glad or so one thing that just brings that little smile to your face. Tap your toe. Read a little or write in your journal. Invite someone over for coffee.
15. Grateful–What are the things in your life that you’re grateful for? Write a list in your journal and to bring a little happiness shot in the arm, read you Grateful List. Not Grateful DEAD, Grateful LIST.
16. Hopeful–Things may not be great right now but what do you hope for? Do you have hopes and dreams? What do you hope for in your marriage and family? In your job and home?
17. Humor–Knock, knock. Who’s there? The Three Stooges. Will Farrel. Venture Brothers. Monty Python. Humor can come in many shapes and sizes, but today take time to laugh until you fall off your chair and roll on the floor laughing!
18. Inspiration–Not all happiness is giddy bubbliness. Sometimes it’s being inspired by a good quote or a bible verse!
19. Joy–According to Merriam-Webster it’s the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires. Find your joy!
20. Love–Love is an choice to act in a loving way, but nothing can bring happiness like loving someone. So love your spouse, your children, your dog or your cat. Spread the love!
21. Nostalgia–Happiness gets a shot in the arm when you “remember when…” Remember those Christmases as a kid? Your bestest bestest friend? That first date? The birth of your first child? See that smile on your face? Take a little time to be nostalgic today.
22. Optimistic–Some people have naturally optimistic personalities, but if you are not someone blessed with that trait, today is your day to practice looking at your glass as half full.
23. Peace–Life is a constant stream of drama and stress threatening to play havok with your happiness, so to be happier, remember to take time to be peaceful.
24. Play–Remember squit guns and merry-go-rounds and swinging so high you thought you’d flip over? Why don’t we do that anymore?
25. Relief–We all carry lists of things “to do” and it’s like a burden weighing down our happiness. Release one thing from your list today and let the relief of letting it go make you happy!
26. Satisfaction–A person feels self-satisfaction when they do a job well-done, when they do the right thing (even if it was a tough situation) or when they are centered within. So strive for satisfaction today and feel that boost in your happiness.
27. Spirituality–“…the deepest values and meanings by which people live.” Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life. So take time out today to pray, meditate or attend a worship service.
28. Spontaneous–Don’t plan. Don’t schedule. Just go on the spur of the moment, be crazy, and have fun. Be Happy.
29. Surprise–Be sneaky, be devious, and plan a big surprise for your spouse or your friend…enjoy their joy and the surprise on their face!
30. Sweet–Some days it’s appropriate to stand up for yourself and enforce boundaries…and other days it’s appropriate to be the sweet, loving person you are inside. Choose to be sweet today–and for fun share something sweet (like go out for a piece of pie)!
31. Vivacious–A person can sit quietly reading and be very happy, but today be someone who bubbles forth with life and vitality. Increase your happiness by breaking out of the “routine” and being full of life!