Today is Day 20 of Happiness Month and it will be continuing all month long. This all started at the Secret Society of Happy People and if you want to pop over there and become an Amused Member, you can get a Free 31 Types of Happiness poster. As you can tell by my daily #HappinessHappens tweets and Facebook posts, I’ve been a member for a long, long time!
Today, to add happiness to your life: Love! Love is an choice to act in a loving way, but nothing can bring happiness like loving someone. So love your spouse, your children, your dog or your cat. Spread the love!
The word “love” is both a noun and a verb. As a noun, it means:
- a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
- a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend
- sexual passion or desire.
- a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person;sweetheart.
- a term of endearment, affection,or the like “Would you like to see a movie, love?”
As a verb, it is an ACTION, and it means:
- to have love or affection for: “All her pupils love her“
- to act in a profoundly tender, and passionately affectionate way toward someone
- to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
- to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
- to embrace and kiss (someone)
Love is something that we have largely been misinformed about, in this day and age. Despite what the media and Hollywood have shown us, true Love is not star-crossed lovers who are destined to be together against all odds, whose eyes meet across a crowded room and they just “know.” Nope. Love is active. Love is a choice–just like happiness. And it’s not about my spouse “completing me” or just naturally knowing exactly what to do to meet all my needs flawlessly either! Love is about me making the choice to treat my spouse in a way that puts his/her best interests in mind. I think of HIM or HER before I ever act, and when I do act, it’s in a way that shows him/her respect, honor, and love! Remember I Corinthians 13? It tells us:
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
Over the next days, we’ll be going over all 31 ways to Add Happiness Every Day. You know too often I hear young people say “He doesn’t make me happy” or “I wish she would make me happy” but you know what? Happiness is not something that someone else “makes” you feel. You make choices in your life that can affect your happiness….and ultimately you CHOOSE whether to be happy every day or not. You can also choose to do things that would add happiness to your life every single today.
- Happiness Month! Day 18: Inspiration -and- Save Our Marriage Saturday (affaircare.com)
- Happiness Month! Day 17: Humor (affaircare.com)
- Happiness Month! Day 16: Hopeful (affaircare.com)