I have a new friend over at Making Love in a Microwave (funny name–you should go check it out and see how she got that name) has thrown down the gauntlet and issued a marriage challenge, so being the competitor that I am, I’ve decided to take her up on it. In fact, not only are Dear Hubby and I going to do this personally, we’re inviting all of YOU to also join us in the 15 Minute, 15-Day Marriage Challenge. I bet you can guess the challenge. For the next 15 days, set aside just 15 minutes specifically for your spouse and your marriage. There are rules (aren’t there always?) but they are pretty easy:
- Leave a comment below letting us know that you’re participating–then pop over to Aja’s page and leave a comment too!
- Devote 15 minutes a day, every day, throughout the challenge. If you’re apart for business or something, try 15 phone minutes or 15 Skype minutes. Find a way to make it work.
- Spend the 15 minutes engaged with one another. Sitting next to each other watching TV in silence doesn’t count.
- Sex does count, but if it’s a quickie that takes less than 15 minutes- fill it out with some pillow chat or something.
- Don’t try to be perfectionists! If you haven’t really been spending time together at all you may even feel a little awkward. You may get interrupted. For one reason or another, things may not go as planned. Have fun with it and just do it.
- If you have a spouse that’s unwilling, use the time to work on your marriage by yourself. Sounds strange to say, but choose this time to try and be the best husband or the best wife you can be.
Okay…so today is Day One. Since there are no specific things we have to do, I’m going to suggest that we coordinate the Affaircare FB page, Twitter, and Romance Calendar to all reflect one thing we can do for 15 minutes that day… to meet the challenge! Today’s marriage tip was to Just Sit Together, and the Romance Calendar had Movie Monday today–HER choice. So I suggested that today we take 15 minutes out of our day to put EVERYTHING ELSE DOWN and just sit by our spouse, hold their hand, and listen to them as if we care! Seriously, when was the last time we treated our spouse as if we LIKED them and were their friend? Remember “back-in-the-day” how much you used to look forward to being together? And when they would talk, you would listen as if you were their friend and really cared for them and what they were saying? Let’s bring that back!
So today–MAKE THE CHOICE to take 15 minutes or more out of your day, put everything else down, let your spouse talk, and listen to what they say (rather than when they’re gonna get done so you can tell them about you). LOL! Be on your spouse’s side. Be their friend.
- Dr. Gian Gonzaga: I’m Married… Now What? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Conversation Ideas to Stimulate Discussion With Your Spouse (personalsunitedstates.wordpress.com)